The Taj Mahal is one of the most important tourist attractions in India and one can certainly say that many tourists go to India just to visit the Taj Mahal. Here, we recommend that you become more familiar with the Taj Mahal before traveling to India so that you can make the most of your trip to India. Be sure to read this post, you will become more and more attracted to the Taj Mahal and travel to India with more excitement and interest.
Incredible facts about Taj Mahal
If you are India then you need to check out other beautiful states in India other than Agra for more mesmerizing monuments and natural scenes.
- The wife of the Shah Jahan, who Taj Mahal was made for her, died in 1631 giving birth to Jahan’s 14th child. It is interesting to know that Mumtaz was the favorite wife of Shah Jahan and it was because of his sadness that the king ordered the construction of this monument in India. This is also why the world recognizes the Taj Mahal as a symbol of love.
- About 8 million people visit the Taj Mahal every year. It may sound strange to you, but it may take more than 50,000 people to visit the Taj Mahal in a day. These simple figures show how popular the Taj Mahal is and how popular it is. Now imagine all these tourists wanting to take a selfie alongside the Taj Mahal and you will realize how crowded it will get near this monument.
- One of the most interesting facts about the Taj Mahal is that the color of the Taj Mahal changes at different times of the day, and this is because of the light it reflects. It can be seen in the sun and moonlight in two different ways, which is why we recommend visiting the Taj Mahal at least twice at two different times or book your place of residence in a hotel near the Taj so you can see the view of the building in different daylight.
- It took about 22 years to build the Taj Mahal and cost about Rs 32 million to build it. That’s about $1 billion in today’s conversion rates. After all, it is interesting to know that the magnificent building employed 20,000 workers and 1000 elephants for its construction. Another interesting thing about the Taj Mahal is that it uses 28 precious and semi-precious gem stones to decorate it.
- A black crown is said to have been built in India to be the tomb of Shah himself. But eventually the building was not built, and the Shah was buried alongside his wife in the Taj Mahal building.
- The tombs that are described as the tombstone of the Shah jahan ans shown to the tourists are actually empty. In fact, their main tomb is two floors below where tourists visit and no one is allowed to approach them.
- The Taj Mahal is 171 meters high, which means it is taller than the Qutub Minar in Delhi and known as the tallest brick building in the world.
- The shrine is closed on Fridays Because of the fact that Taj mosque holds Friday prayers inside. The strange thing is that the Supreme Court of India has announced that the worshipers who are not from Agra are banned to go inside for Friday prayers. It may sound strange to you, but on Fridayss, ID cards of the worshipers are checked to make sure that all the worshipers are from Agra. The reason for this is that they do not want the Taj Mahal to become too crowded and to damage this valuable monument.
- This is the last, weirdest truth we can tell you about this monument. Some historians believe that the Taj Mahal was built 300 years before Shah Jahan period. If this is true, there would have been no love story behind the Taj Mahal. These historians believe that the building was the site of a Hindu temple and that a Hindu king built it for Shiva (the Hindu god). These historians believe that when the king’s wife died, the building was turned to the temple and later added a dome to the Hindu temple and turned it into a tomb.
For more information checkout India travel tips page to see what India has to offer.
Adventure Bucket List Australia Travel Tips Best Attractions in Spain best Temples in world Budget Food USA Budget Restaurants Cheap Food China Travel Tips Europe Travel Tips France Travel Tips Georgia Travel Tips India Travel Tips Italy Travel Tips Japan Travel Tips Norway Travel Tips Russia Travel Tips Travel Guide Australia Travel Guide China Travel Guide France Travel Guide Georgia Travel Guide India Travel Guide Italy Travel Guide Japan Travel Guide Malaysia Travel Guide Norway Travel Guide Russia Travel Guide Spain Travel Guide Turkey Travel Guide USA Turkey Food Guide Turkey Travel Tips USA Travel Tips What to Do in Australia What to Do in China What to Do in Europe What To Do in France What To Do in Georgia What To Do in India What To Do in Italy What to Do in Japan What to Do in Norway What To Do in Russia What to Do in Spain What To Do in Turkey What To Do in USA